Saturday, January 20, 2007

Where I've been

It is on days like today, when my eyes are turned inward on who I've become, where my life is, and where I've been that I feel grateful for all the experiences, both good and bad, that I've had. Many are the times I have weathered the storms in my life simply on the faith that my life has a purpose, thought I may never know what. I believe that everyone does have a purpose in life, and that somewhere along the way I will fulfill mine. I pray that somehow my life will touch on someone else's and make a difference, a true life altering difference. I don't live my life to get somewhere, I live my life to live my life. I am not content to just exist, I am only content when I live each day the best I can. I am content to sleep at night when I know I have given my love to my daughter and husband and been there for them in their times of need.
I have a standing rule with my family and closest friends that if they ever need me, regardless of the time, they can call me. If they ever need a shoulder to cry on or need some advice (advice they likely won't follow) that I'll take their call night or day. I have therefore received calls at obscene hours of the morning from my sisters, but never have I regretted the decision to make myself available to them. Never have I wished to just let the machine get it. Something in me feels fulfilled when I help them, when I'm there for them. I've never been closer to most of my family then now when we've lived so far apart for so long.
I thrive on that connection to the people I love, knowing that they love and miss me daily, knowing that I am always welcome. I pity anyone who doesn't have that, maybe I shouldn't, but I do.